Thursday, May 2, 2013

Return of the IUD

Well I never thought I would do it after my first nightmare experience with IUD insertion, but I got a new one. Honestly I really liked the IUD while it was in, and if it hadn't fallen out I would be perfectly happy, even after the horror of the insertion. But it did fall out, so I had to make the difficult decision of whether or not to get another one put in and potentially go through the most painful experience of my life again.

I brought my partner for moral support, took my Advil, and made sure that the doctor doing the insertion was completely aware of what had happened last time and why. I even asked her for an Ativan (she couldn't find one, but did locate a Lorazepam, which made me a bit loopy). She seemed very confident and relaxed, and she listened to everything I said, answered all my questions, and even recommended a different IUD than the one I had last time, which may have helped the insertion to go more smoothly. She was perfectly lovely.

I got up on the table, clasped my partner's hand, and tried to simultaneously relax and brace myself for the worst. First the speculum, no big deal. Then the horrible measuring wand - bad cramps, but I breathed through them. Then the pinch-y cervix holding thing, which they always tell you will be the worst but I don't find it more painful than the measuring wand. I closed my eyes, and - "Ok, it's in," said the doctor.

I don't think I said anything for a couple seconds. I seriously thought she was messing with me. I asked her if she was joking. This is the worst episode of Punk'd I can think of, I thought. (Remember Punk'd???). But she wasn't joking. She took out the speculum and told me to take my time sitting up. The whole thing took about ten minutes. Last time it took almost an hour and a half.

I'm not sure what made the difference - the different IUD, a better doctor, knowing beforehand the particular challenges of my bits, or perhaps my cervix was just in a better mood this time. But holy shit, what a relief!

I had an ultrasound a week later and everything was fine, the IUD is in the correct position. In a few more weeks I will go back to the Bay Centre and get a check up. Guys, I am so, so happy about how well it went this time! HIGHLY RECOMMEND, WOULD IUD AGAIN!

No comments: